Friday, August 28, 2009

Book Review: Crafting a Business

This past week I have been reading Crafting a Business. I must say this is one of my favorite books so far. It is very inspirational, and it is one of the newest books I got from the library. The book goes through almost 30 different women artists in all different craft fields. Amy Butler is mentioned, as well as Elisa Strauss of Confetti Cakes! From jewelry to antiques, to running a business online from home or a brick and mortar shop. Each woman(or small group) gets roughly 4 pages to show fantastic pictures of their spaces and crafts and to tell their story. They each give tips on what they have learned to do and what not to do. There is a small inspirational section, look at designs for business identity's, as well as a business section in the back to starting your own business.

Other books I have read have far more business topics in running a business. But this book is far more inspiring. In some margins there are quotes from the women which are inspiring as well. My favorite quote is from Te Junk Gypsy Company: "If you want to start your own business, don't copy everybody else. You can really sell it better if it comes from what you believe in." I thought this was a perfect statement for my mind set. I am reading all of these business craft books to try and break into the business. But you have to keep in mind your own opinions at all times. don't do something you are not comfortable with!

I really like this book, and once I have a higher profit than loss, I might buy this book for my own library.

2 comments:

~Laurie~ said...

Good luck with your business venture! Your plushies are eye catching and fun - their faces look real. I think your artistic talent is evident in how good these look. Best wishes and I hope you'll remember all the "little" people when you become famous!
laurie

Ellen Ault said...

Thank you for your kind words!

Post a Comment