Saturday, August 8, 2009

Book Review: The Boss of You

This past week I have been reading "The Boss of You: Everything a Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business." This book is by far better than the "Anti 9-5 Guide."

First off, this book is more business minded, but still craft/handmade inspired. The book goes into a lot of sections of starting a business, opening it, and keeping it going. My favorite section was the beginning, where they have you list your goals and you skills. Then they continue on to help creating a mission statement and how to apply it to your goals and overall business plan.

They do not go through the detail of creating a business plan, but do highly suggest you create your own. There is a lot of discussion on budgeting for your business, and they leave it open to an online business or a brick and mortar business.

There is a large section on marketing and advertising which I skimmed through. Most of it read like common sense, but for those with little marketing skills there is good information. They even go into the importance of networking, which should be a no brainer for a start-up business.

The fourth and final section of the book is more around business that are already started. It talks about keeping your business going and how to expand. I figure when I get to that point in my business, I'll recheck out the book and read it.

Overall I really liked this book. It is written with great information, but light-hearted adding in a bit of comedic writing along the way. There are nice examples that help explain what they are discussing, and the authors go into a lot of possible scenarios. This book I would recommend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment