Monday, June 1, 2009

Challenge #1 - T-Shirt

As part of the Crafty Summer Series, here is my piece for the first challenge: T-Shirts!

For this challenge we had to take a T-Shirt and re-purpose it somehow! I found this old T-Shirt of mine I got in NYC when I went to see The Producers on Broadway. I love the shirt, but it wore out and doesn't fit anymore. So I knew it was the shirt I wanted to use!
So the first step was to trim out the front. I had an idea to take the text and apply it on a monster. Once I had it cut, I decided to turn it into either a belt or a head band for the monster. Headband it is!
Next was to pick fabric and layout the eyes and mouth to get the right proportion. I knew this monster was going to be bigger than I usually do, so I went and bought a Soft-N-Crafty pillow at 12"x16". This helped build it's form so I wouldn't have to use up my stuffing! Luckily it was on sale at Jo-Ann's that weekend too! Once I had the pillow I took a little stuffing out and sewed it creating the legs, removing the excess material.Once I had the pieces, it was time sew! I appliqued the eyes and arms on first, then sew over top to make sure they would stick to the form. Next arms sewn and stuff, then the body making sure to add felt for his spikes and my tag on the leg. I even appliqued the Producers logo on the back to keep with the shirt! Once all parts were sewn, I stuffed the pillow form in, with help from my husband! Word to the wise make your seam larger than three inches! I closed the seam and hand sewn the headband to the monster so it would be sure to stay on. I am very happy with this monster, and am definitely Flaunting My Stuff!

3 comments:

Megan/Brassy Apple said...

it's awesome!!!! wonderful job! thanks for jumping in on the challenge!

Stop back by on Monday to see what the next challenge is! :)

Wendy said...

LOVE THIS!!! My Mom makes monster dolls, but I've never attempted it!! I have a shirt that says, "We're not bragging, we're just THAT good!" (from college ball.) That seems monster-worthy!

Thanks for sharing!! Your creature is fantastic.

Ellen Ault said...

Thanks!

Post a Comment